We all need to pay online or send money to someone, and in recent years, UPI has been the most convenient option to do so. However, as you may be aware, making a payment via UPI requires the use of an app and an active internet connection. So it’s difficult to pay someone while you’re having connectivity troubles. However, there is a method for sending money over UPI without needing the internet.
You can make payments via the USSD-based service if you don’t have access to the internet or if you have a feature phone that doesn’t support UPI apps.
In 2016, the NPIC (National Payments Corporation of India) launched USSD-based mobile banking together with the BHIM UPI software.
How to Send Money using a USSD Code
Make sure your cellphone number is registered with the bank before you begin. Additionally, download the BHIM UPI app and link your bank account to it. After that, take the following steps:
- Go to your phone’s dialer and dial *99#. A menu displays many options, such as Send Money, Receive Money, and so on.
- Select the Send Money option by replying with 1.
- You’ll now be able to send money using your mobile phone, UPI ID, or account number, and IFSC code. Choose your favorite choice.
- If you chose to transfer money to a phone number, enter the phone number of the person you’re sending money to. Alternatively, you can input the UPI ID, account number, and IFSC code.
- Enter the amount you want to send in rupees after entering that person’s mobile number, UPI ID, or bank account data.
- Next, you’ll see the beneficiary’s name, and you can add any comments you desire.
- Enter your UPI Pin and click Send.
That is all there is to it. Along with the reference ID, you’ll obtain the transaction status. This service currently allows you to send a maximum of Rs. 5000 per transaction. You can send and receive money with this service without using any data and even with a basic feature phone.