Reading Time: 3 minutes
Apple today announced Apple Card Family, an innovative new way for people to share their Apple Card, track purchases, manage to spend, and build credit together with their Family Sharing group. Available in the US in May, Apple Card Family allows two people to co-own an Apple Card, and share and merge their credit lines while building credit together equally. Apple Card Family also enables parents to share Apple Card with their children, while offering optional spending limits and controls to help teach smart and safe financial habits. Apple Card Family is designed to help the Family Sharing group achieve a healthier financial life by making it easy to track spending, all on iPhone and with a single monthly bill.
“We designed Apple Card Family because we saw an opportunity to reinvent how spouses, partners, and the people you trust most share credit cards and build credit together. There’s been a lack of transparency and consumer understanding in the way credit scores are calculated when there are two users of the same credit card, since the primary account holder receives the benefit of building a strong credit history while the other does not,” said Jennifer Bailey, Apple’s vice president of Apple Pay. “Apple Card Family lets people build their credit history together equally.”
Apple Card is the first credit card designed for iPhone and to help people lead a healthier financial life. Built into the Apple Wallet app on iPhone, Apple Card has transformed the entire credit card experience by simplifying the application process, eliminating all fees,1 encouraging users to pay less interest, and providing a new level of privacy and security.
Apple Card also offers Daily Cash, which gives up to 3 percent of every purchase as cash on users’ Apple Cash card each day.2 And with no credit card number, CVV security code, expiration date, or signature on the card, the titanium Apple Card is more secure than any other physical credit card.
Managing Apple Card Family
- Apple Card customers can add up to five people to their Apple Card account by sharing Apple Card with them in Wallet. All users must be part of the same Family Sharing group in order to be invited to Apple Card Family, and be 13 years of age or older.
- Apple Card can be shared with any eligible customer who is 18 years or older as a co-owner, providing the opportunity for both to build credit history together, get the flexibility of a combined limit, provide transparency into each other’s spending, share the responsibility of making payments, and deliver the convenience of a single monthly bill to pay.3
- Apple Card can be shared with anyone who is 13 years or older as a participant, so they can learn how to spend independently and responsibly while giving co-owners transparency and features that provide insight into purchases and control over their purchase limit. Participants over the age of 18 can also opt into credit reporting.
- All account activity, including positive or negative payment history, will be reported to credit bureaus for participants who opt in to credit reporting as well as all Apple Card co-owners.
- Existing Apple Card customers can also merge their Apple Card accounts, giving the flexibility of a higher shared credit limit while keeping the lower APR of the two accounts.3
- Co-owners and participants will each receive Daily Cash for their Apple Card purchases.